Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pumpkin Pasties

Pumpkin Pasties

If you're not a Harry Potter fan, I'm sorry to say that the majority of this post won't make sense to you. However, I still encourage you to make this recipe, because pumpkin pasties are like pumpkin pie bites with an amazingly satisfying crust-to-filling ratio. So good.


Anyhoo, this Halloween, I spent my evening at Hogwarts:

I dressed up in my S.P.E.W. hat, donned my clunky 3-D glasses frames with the punched out lenses, and drew a lightning bolt on my forehead.

I greeted trick-or-treaters with a faux British accent.

I played the Harry Potter soundtrack loudly.

But the best part? Making butterbeer and pumpkin pasties.

My roommate (who is also a huge Harry Potter fan) and I assembled the pasties, which are an incredibly stress-free dessert to make, and then sat down to watch the first movie while we ate our treats. I literally felt like I was transported into the story, because I could just imagine that I was sitting next to Harry, Ron, and Hermione while they ate their pumpkin pasties at the Halloween feast. It was the best Halloween I can remember having in quite some time!

(PS... If you'd like the recipe for butterbeer, which is quite delicious -and non-alcoholic- , let me know and I'll hunt down the recipe!)


Recipe for Pumpkin Pasties:
Adapted from here

Print Me!

2 9 inch pie crusts (the store-bought rolled out ones work best)
1 can cooked pumpkin
One egg
2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice (or a combination of ginger, ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg)
One cup of sugar
One beaten egg mixed with 2 tablespoons of milk for eggwash
Extra sugar for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together the pumpkin , egg, spice mix, and sugar in a medium bowl.
2. Using the edge of a glass or a round cookie cutter, cut 3-4 inch circles from the unbaked pie crust. Place a tablespoon of the pumpkin mixture on half of each circle. Fold dough over to form a semicircle and press envelope closed with the tines of a fork.
3. Brush tops of the pasties with eggwash mixture. Sprinkle with sugar.
4. Place in oven and cook for 12 minutes until the tops are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment