Sunday, May 9, 2010

Inspired by Julie and Julia

So I did not bake today; or cook for that matter. Instead, I spent a good eight hours studying for finals at a coffee shop. When I came home in the evening, all I felt like doing was making instant pancakes (you know, the kind from a box), adding some chocolate chips, and calling it dinner.

It's become somewhat of a tradition for my roommate and I to make pancakes and watch a movie once a month, and tonight we decided that it was the perfect occasion for such an event. In light of my recent plunge into the world of blogging, we picked "Julie and Julia" as our movie of choice, and it inspired me like no other. The movie centers around the life of two women who love food: Julia Child, famous cookbook author, and Julie Powell, the creator of one of the most well known food blog projects ever (I mean hey, they turned it into a movie after all).

Both of these women loved food, and even though there were so many obstacles in their way to achieving their goals, they persisted and it paid off. To be honest, I don't have much experience cooking but I just need to keep plugging away. It's something I enjoy, and I can only get better from here, right?

Who knows if anyone will even read this blog or if it will go anywhere (I'm pretty sure my roommate is my only reader right now), but it's an experiment that's proving quite fun in the meantime. So thanks, Julia and Julia, for keeping me inspired.

And as Julia would say: "Bon appetit!"

3 comments:

  1. Hi :)
    I'm looking forward to reading all your posts and go along with you on your adventures. We're kind of in the same boat (I'm going to be a senior college, and I'm an at-home food explorer hehehehe), so welcome!!!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading. : )

    And.. probably about a year ago, Elissa of 17 and Baking wrote a post about how she didn't know if anyone was reading her blog or not. I told her I was and I'm sure other people did too. And... well... just look at her now.

    That's all. Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roooomie,

    You're so talented in the kitchen! I'm super excited that I'll be able to read this over summer so I can stay updated on what delicious things you whip up. Yumm!

    By the way, I think you should bake those cookies now. :) Good luck! I'm reading!

    Sowms

    ReplyDelete